Systems and Network Management
Skills 1st offers services in Systems and Network Management:
- Zenoss consultancy
- Zenoss training
- Support and consultancy for open-source network management products
- Helping you to understand the benefits and risks of free network management software
- Planning and assistance for migrating from NetView and OpenView to other products
- Tivoli NetView consultancy and training
- Tivoli TME10 consultancy and training
- Tivoli Enterprise Console (TEC) consultancy and training
- Open Source Management Options by Jane Curry is a major review of the open source network management tools available in 2008.
- Zenoss Event Management is the companion paper for our Zenoss Event Management Workshop. The paper is also available as an 84-page full-colour book.
- Crafting Zenoss Core users for events and zProperties describes how to use the Zenoss Core access control facilities to create users with appropriate permissions to manage events.
- Zenoss Discovery and Classification Zenoss has several possibilities for discovering devices, both manual and automatic. Once discovered, the subsequent monitoring of a device depends very much on the device class that an element is allocated to. This paper focuses particularly on a scenario that automatically discovers devices in networks and then allocates those devices to device classes. The scenario uses a number of Zenoss techniques including Python scripts, event commands and event transforms.
Methods of monitoring processes with Zenoss
This paper discusses three possible methods for performing process monitoring:
- Using the process monitoring capabilities of the net-snmp agent
- Using ssh to access a device and run local commands, Nagios-style plugins or Zenoss plugins
- Using Zenoss's zenprocess daemon
- Creating Zenoss Zenpacks ZenPacks are the extension mechanism provided by Zenoss to build new functionality and also to easily port customisation from one Zenoss server to another. Some documentation is provide in the Zenoss Developer's Guide. This paper is intended to enhance and extend that documentation. Includes a sample ZenPack.
- Managing networks and systems with Zenoss - presentation given at UKUUG conference, London, March 2009.
- Raddle is a network emulation framework. It is particularly useful when testing network management systems or teaching people to use them. We originally developed this to make student exercises in network management classes more realistic, but it has found many applications in test and demo environments as well.
- We hold the archive of the NetView Web - a Wiki repository for the accumulated knowledge of the Tivoli NetView community,
- We also hold the Zenoss TechZen User Community Forums Archive