Creating Zenoss Zenpacks
ZenPacks are the extension mechanism provided by Zenoss to build new functionality and also to easily port customisation from one Zenoss server to another. Some documentation is provided in the Zenoss Developer's Guide; this paper is intended to enhance and extend that documentation, including a sample ZenPack.
The process of creating, modifying and exporting ZenPacks is discussed, along with debugging hints. The sample ZenPack explores:
- creating new object classes and relationships
- creating new collector modeler plugins to populate the new classes with data
- creating skins to display web pages for the new types of object
- creating performance data templates for the object classes
It is assumed that the reader is familiar with basic SNMP concepts and with standard Zenoss configuration techniques.
The paper is available as a PDF file:
- Creating Zenoss Zenpacks for Zenoss 3 January 2011
- Creating Zenoss Zenpacks (original version, for Zenoss 2.x)
For Zenoss 3:
- Installable Zenpack for Python 2.4: ZenPacks.skills1st.bridge-1.0.4-py2.4.egg
- Installable Zenpack for Python 2.6: ZenPacks.skills1st.bridge-1.0.4-py2.6.egg
- Source code: ZenPacks.skills1st.bridge-1.0.4.tar
For Zenoss 2.5:
- Installable Zenpack: ZenPacks.skills1st.bridge-1.0.1-py2.4.egg
- Source code: ZenPacks.skills1st.bridge-1.0.1.tar
See also Jane Curry's list of papers.